Sunday, July 26, 2009

Quarantine forever







Well, I guess I'm stuck here for another week. Things are fine, I don't want to make anyone overly concerned. While everything about this situation totally blows. I am safe and sound and Christine will be as well. She is feeling fine and has been taken to a hospital where she will have access to internet and phone and also her international insurance will cover a second opinion, there will also be English speaking doctors there. They are doing a more accurate version of the swine flu test now (the one that takes 24 hrs) and I will know the results tomorrow. Sorry if I freaked anyone out with my last email. This experience has truly tested my abilities to withstand high amounts of stress so maybe I will come back a much more calm and patient person...Wearing the masks is awkward and I feel like some people are taking them waaay too seriously. Oh, we also have a case worker at the US embassy helping us out as much as they can.

We went on a really amazing hike up to a view point. To get there we had to rock climb a little (there was already a rope there for us). It looked like we were on one of the highest peaks on the whole island. We could see everything. There are so many tiny islands all over and the rice paddies were like big quilt patches. On the way back our friend Shannon went ahead of us on the wrong trail. We thought we lost her, just when we thought this whole experience couldn't get any worse...just as we began organizing a search party we heard she had come back! It was the best news all day!
The Koreans are trying to make us as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. They are getting us internet in our rooms and dryers (our clothes are not really drying due to the large amounts of rain and humidity). They even made us french fries for dinner. We are organizing things to do...there is actually a bonfire outside right now. We're having "Wandolympics" on Tuesday, we had a talent show last night and now we're organizing nightly movies. I think though that if I have the option to go home after quaratine I will take it. I have had about all I can take at this point and I really truly just want to come home. I am hoping this is one of those experiences that I can look back on someday and laugh. I am making some really good friends doing this so I guess I have that to be thankful for as well. Thanks for all your thoughts and emails, please keep them coming as I don't have a whole lot else to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment