Thursday, July 30, 2009

Light at the end of the tunnel...



Good news! Since the spread of swine flu is so fast (over 1,000 Koreans are infected every day) they finally realized that there was nothing they could do about it and they changed the law 2 days ago. It is no longer required to quarantine anyone with swine flu. They are just stocking up on tamiflu and goin' with it I guess. We finish with our tamiflu tomorrow and then we don't even need a test to make sure we're negative. Our second camp is a go and will most likely be the middle school group. No worries if anyone else gets sick, they will just refrain from teaching and in the kids case they will just be sent home as if it were any other illness. Yay! Since the other camp was not scheduled for another week the Koreans are going to take us on a 3 day cultural tour and then we'll get a chance to meet with our Korean co-teachers to prepare for the camp. I am really happy I decided to stay. We still get to go on a tour of Jeju island and Seoul at the end as well.
Today was really hot and sunny so a few of us got our swimsuits on and hiked down the stream to see if we could find a place deep enough to swim. The water felt really good, it was cold and clean. It actually looked a lot like an Oregon stream. We hiked downstream to a small waterfall that you could sit behind. It was scary going in the first time because the water was coming so fast but you just had to sit down and close your eyes and suddenly it was right in front of my face. Shannon scared us really bad again, she slipped and fell down head first....but got right back up again and is fine apparently. I am still not going to let her fall asleep just in case. I think I got some sun today, my face feels warm.
Susan, my roommate, gets to leave and is very happy about it. She was cheerful and fun again which was nice, but I will miss her a lot. Christine comes back from the hospital tomorrow afternoon, I am really excited to see her! My other room mate Aly decided to stay which also makes me really happy.
So I am really happy I decided to stay. Now that all the stress of not ever getting out of quarantine is gone it's actually pretty fun here. Everyone is pretty much friends now and this really is a beautiful place. After dinner a whole bunch of us hula hooped for a really long time. It pretty much made my day :) The Korean way to say hula hoop is "hula hoopoo"
k, Love you all lots! Now you can sleep well and not worry about me, things are good here in SK.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle, Now this sounds like a realllly good idea!! I am now very happy with your decision and that Christine gets to be with you again. Lets hope you won't be unhappy with anything again while you are there. Kisses and hugs Love Grams

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've decided to stay. Like you said, it'd be a shame to go all that way and then have to leave with this horror story as your only experience.

    ReplyDelete