Monday, August 3, 2009

Tonights gonna be a good night....






It is officially our last night in Wando! It feels good to know we are getting out of here but on the other hand it will be hard to leave some people behind as we all split up into our 5 prospective camps. Even though there have been many ups and downs during our 2 week stay here in close quarters we have grown into somewhat of a "quarantine family."
Yesterday we went on our big hike to the top of the mountain. Christine was a trooper, it was the first time she'd really had a chance to get out and exercise since her 5 day stint in a quarantined hospital room. At one point she mumbled "this sucks" but seemed really happy once we made it to the top and we had a view of the entire island. It made me giggle. We got to hike with Kristen our head teacher and Eric, both are teachers in Oregon. It was really fun being with them as we didn't get a ton of time to get to know each other before. We got to tell stories about our funny experiences as teachers which are always fun and entertaining to other teachers :) Another plus is that Shannon didn't get lost this time, hehe.
Our activities coordinators, Erica and Laura mostly I think, organized a "Farewell Formal" dance. It was very prom-esque. At first I really didn't want to go but then felt like a party pooper when I realized everyone else was going. Christine's awesome roomie/quarantine buddy Megan was nice enough to let me borrow a cute shirt as all I brought were very "teachery" (dare-I-say matronly) outfits. It was the closest thing to an asian princess outfit as I am going to get I think. They organized superlatives (awards) for everyone, I got "the most dependable for when your bff is stuck in quarantine" and Christine got "best hula hooper." When Christine accepted her award she made sure to announce that she "just learned how yesterday." It was funny. After that we danced to some really interesting songs (I'm blue, Barbie girl...among some classics like Sweet Caroline) and drank soju with grape drink. It was a good time and a good way to cut loose before we head out of Wando.
Today was a lazy day. Not a whole lot to tell except that we had to have a big group discussion about an incident that occurred last night...it involved lighting off fireworks in the hallway in the middle of the night. Not the best decision. I'm pretty glad I was on a different floor and dead to the world with my earplugs in. It was a big problem for a lot of people though which I totally understand. Two of the people who did it are going with Christine and I to Mokpo camp...I think we might need to have a camp meeting about appropriate behaviors. We'll see. It seems like people are still upset. I just hope they don't plan on continuing the party once we get around the children.
On a really happy exciting note, Ian and I got to pick out the puppy we want. We had to choose between 6 females. It was really hard without meeting them but we ended up going with the smallest one, she has really pretty coloring with a cute little swiss kiss on the back of her neck. I can't wait to meet her! The breeder named her Annie but no worries, so far I like Bella or Nena. I think we need to meet her before we make any final decisions. Any other ideas?
We go on our cultural tour tomorrow for 2 days and go to our camps on Thursday night. We begin teaching Friday. So for you, my faithful blog followers, this means I will no longer have such a large amount of time to dedicate to writing long drawn-out blogs detailing every moment I spend in Korea. Much love to you all! I'll write as soon as I have internet!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you had a fun night and that its your LAST night! I am so proud of you!
    I love the name Bella for your pup! She is beautiful and I can't wait to meet her and give her kisses! I love you shelly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked people at work to help me think of swiss girl names. All I heard that was remotely interesting was Heidi (like the story) or Inga or Ingrid. I don't like those though, Bella is better. If she bites and chews a lot then it's appropriate that she's named after the vampire Bella Swan. Can't wait to hear about the new places you are going to. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete