Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Almost finishee

Today is the last day I have to teach the hospital booth...I am currently teaching it for the 11th time (but I have a 20 min break right now). Needless to say it feels pretty redundant and boring at this point. I have Christine's class right now and they are great, just a little quiet. It is amazing to see the kids progress this week. At the very beginning I had to talk extremely slow and clear but I am now able to speed up and they understand almost everything (I think). We've been having a lot of fun here in Mokpo, I love being near a city (sorry people in Wando) because we get to go out and explore a little (With our chaperone/guardian/translator/bouncer Ian in tow). Two nights ago we went to a little music bar down the beach and hung out in big chairs listening to the saxaphone. The saxaphone player wore a bowlers hat and a little polka-dotted bow tie, he came and took pictures with us. I learned the word for beer in Korean: mak-ju and when you mix beer and soju it is called Su-mac.
Yesterday was a very long day, we are all exhausted and teaching the same thing over and over is very wearing. At lunch time my co-teacher, Ji Hye (Sophie) told me that the girls in my class were all very angry with another girl because she made our team lose the jump-roping challenge the night before. I guess she had been crying all night and was sitting by herself. We decided that we needed to have a class meeting during our camp idol practice. I had no idea it would turn into such a nightmare...to make a long story short I had a total of 4 girls crying and yelling (all in Korean) but it really came down to 2 of them that had the issue with each other. It ended up lasting the entire hour and a half we had allotted for practice so we are completely unprepared. They continued fighting once we got to the cafeteria to eat dinner and I saw them later on with the head teacher at the camp STILL fighting and crying. It just re-affirmed what I already knew about middle school girls. I miss 2nd graders. Tonight we have to perform something too (the native English teachers I mean), this guy here is really set on doing this Korean pop song called Nobody. We barely practiced and it is really going to suck. I don't want to. Tomorrow all we have is a scavenger hunt and the kids go home after lunch. Then we pack up our things and go to have dinner with the governor of the province. I can't wait to be re-united with all our other swine flu quarantine buddies! Saturday we head to Jeju island for a few days and then we spend a couple days in Seoul before we go home. I leave one week from today! I can't wait to see all of you!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I guess middle school girls are the same everywhere. It's really lucky that I was such a nerd--saved me from too much drama...except for that time when my bffs went to see Jingle All the Way without me cause they thought I'd embarrass them with my Sinbad impressions. Yea, the shit hit the fan with that one.

    Have a lovely final week!

    ReplyDelete