Thursday, August 13, 2009

"At first it was strange meeting you but now we are friendly..."

Wow, camp is officially over, the kids said goodbye and we are packing up and leaving Mokpo for youngam camp in a few minutes. Camp idol was amazing last night, my kids (and ALL of the kids) worked so hard on their performances. They are so wonderful and awesome and generous and loving and I can't say enough about how great this whole experience was. At the closing ceremonies today all of the teachers lined up in a row and all of the students had to walk by and shake our hands and say goodbye. They were playing the New Years eve song which instantly made almost all of the students start crying. It was so hard and sad seeing all of their tears and knowing that we will probably never see them again. My students who had the hardest time getting along this week and speaking English were the ones who were crying the hardest and had the hardest time saying goodbye. One girl, who I named Hanna, had to walk through the line twice and give me more hugs. It was soo sad. We watched a slideshow of all the cool things we did this week and then it was time to get our bags and get out. Gene made Christine get up and sing the girl scouts song about "A circle is round, it has no end, that's how long I want to be your friend." It was hard saying goodbye to my co-teacher, Ji Hye also. She was so great. Yeah, this blog is really mushy. I am so thankful that I came and had this experience. Ian's (Korean Ian) quote is the best: "Men don't appear the tears, only mind cry." He told us that when we asked him if he would cry when he leaves us tonight. So great.

No comments:

Post a Comment