Monday, August 10, 2009

For the very first time...

Whew, it is now the 5th day of camp and I am exhausted! I can't imagine doing 2 camps back to back! We are working (with breaks for lunch and dinner) from 8am-9pm every day. My group of kids (homeroom) happens to be an extremely hyper group of children who constantly yell and run around. It can be fun during games and things but gets very overwhelming when we are practicing for "Camp idol." We're going to perform the Cupid Shuffle and a Korean pop song called "Sorry, sorry." We have waay too much time allotted for idol practice so it gets really hard to constantly think of way to entertain them. I am officially really bored teaching the Hospital booth, only 5 more times to go, sigh. I am trying to still make it really exciting for the kids though so I hope they are having fun. Yesterday after lunch we got to go on board the ship docked here, it's used for training purposes (the university we are at is called Mokpo Maritime University and trains engineers).
Last night we went to the gym for our final activity and the school principal, Gene, taught us a funny dance, it includes the lightbulb, catching a fly, throwing a lasso and swimming. Then we learned a Folk dance and danced in a big circle to My Girl. After that we played a relay race with balloons. Two people ran down and popped a balloon by sitting on it and then they had to take another balloon and put it between them and hug to pop it. I was trying to sneak away when the discipline teacher, Henry found me and made me do it with Jun, a guy co-teacher. It was kinda embarrasing. Oh well...afterwards he came up to me and said. "That was a very different experience." hehe.
After our games we went to the teacher's lounge where Gene told us a long story about himself. He is 72 years old and says funny things all the time. He is full of funny idioms that he uses as much as possible, last night he told us: "Old soldiers never die, just fade away..." He clears his throat a lot when he speaks and says things very slowly. He also loves to say "For the very first time..." whenever possible. "For the very first time we will do a dance.." "For the very first time I go to the university..." etc. We got our $250 stipend and it was like none of us had ever seen money before. Pretty soon everyone was taking pictures with everyone's money to make it look like we had $1,000,000 won. We fanned it out and tried different poses. One of the ladies here laid down on the floor and spread the money out around her and tried to take sexy pictures. I was laughing hysterically as our (older lady who doesn't say things like that) head teacher told her to "work it." I think the principal was probably thinking we were really weird. This morning I woke up again to the loud obnoxious music that plays at a deafening volume at 7am and took a cold shower. It is rainy here today so they gave us big yellow plastic ponchos. Today we had a semi normal breakfast of toast, eggs, coffee, drinkable yogurt and soup. It was delicious. Have you guys ever seen the website Engrish.com? It is so funny. Great examples of the types of things we see on the signs and stuff in Asia. Anyway, wish me luck tonight as I somehow make it through 2 straight hours of camp idol practice. Maybe I can just wear my earplugs and hide in the corner...

No comments:

Post a Comment