Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Parting is such sweet sorrow...

I am in the Seoul airport now waiting to board my plane. I have 30 minutes. Saying goodbye today was really sad and hard. We made some good friends from Missouri. Jeju was really fun even though it was really sad not being with Ian on our anniversary. We ended up going to this crazy night club.. It was huge and had this crazy stage with hydrolics. There were performers and they would be lowered down from above and dance and stuff. At one point the entire ceiling opened up to the night sky and they shot out bubble foam.
We had a couple nights in Seoul and it was awesome because they finally just let us go off on our own and have free time for real. A bunch of girls and I went shopping almost the entire day. You guys would have been really proud of me because I was able to navigate the subway system and was reading maps and showing them how to get places. I amaze myself sometimes. We did inevitably get on the train going to wrong direction a couple times though. hehe. The night before we went to the jim-jo-bong spa place. It was called Dragon Hill and is the biggest one in Seoul. It cost $12 to go in, they give you a key chain and a cotton outfit. Then the women and the men go to different floors since everyone is naked. At first it was really weird to be naked around each other but the Koreans do it all the time so we got over it pretty quickly. We joked that we would all imagine each other in purple sweaters. Inside it had all these different pools, they were all different temperatures so we started in the cooler one and then moved to the hotter ones. Some of them had bubble jets and some had water currant streams you could float around on. We went over to the body scrub area and for 20,000 won (~$20) I got a body scrub. An older lady in her panties and underwear used this mitt thing and scrubbed every single dead skin cell off my entire body. And I do mean everywhere. I am still soft. After that we wandered around. There are lots of different services you can get there like any spa but Aly and I ended up getting dressed and going down to the communal sauna room. They were amazing. We started in the hot one that looked like a big brick igloo. After that there were 5 more that all varied in temperactures. One of them was tiled completely in jade and shaped like a pyramid. Another was completely made out of salt. On the ground were salt rocks and canvas blankets on the ground. You lay on the blankets and put your head on a wooden log slice. It was so beautiful and calming. Afterwards we took a shower and did mud masks. The women there were all sitting in a train and scrubbing each other. It is amazing how well they take care of their skin. They were doing everything from clipping toenails to shaving, anything beauty related. Another interesting thing is that even at 1am the place was packed and it was not uncommon to see a very small child with her family. People were still coming in at 2am when we left. Before we left we got a chair massage and then almost all of us fell asleep in the taxi back to the hotel. It was so relaxing.
We have so many good memories and so many new friends. I hope we can meet up with our Missou buddies very soon! I keep thinking I am going to hear Linzay or Jessica or Danette's voice, it is sad when I realize everytime that I won't see them until they come visit us in Jan. (except Linzay who is a fellow Portlander)
See you all back in the USA. Thanks for being my Korea followers. I will try and post pics soon so you can check back if you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment