Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I am a lotus flower






On the agenda today was breakfast at McDonald's, a trip to the beach, lunch at a Korean restaurant, Buddhist temple and Damyang camp. Christine and I woke up in our sexy motel with a loud obnoxious phone call. We rushed through our showers and got ready to go. At McDonald's Christine informed me that I had been talking in my sleep apparently I told her very frankly that she had just "grabbed my butt." "Sorry" she told me and went back to sleep. Hahaha, I guess the motel got to me a little. The Koreans warned us in advance that the beach had "black sand" but when we got there we discovered that that just means gravel and small rocks. We laid in the sun for a couple hours and moved on to our next destination. Lunch was pretty standard and then it was time to head to the Buddhist temple. To get to the temple we walked along a quiet river path with large trees and bamboo growing all around. The entire place (which had many buildings) was hand painted with designs of bright, vibrant colors. I cannot even imagine how much time it would take to complete one small board let alone entire huge buildings. Beautiful hillsides surrounded the temples and monks walked around with their shaved heads and baggy clothes. We learned some history from a tour guide and then had an hour or two on our own to explore. We entered the main temple. It had several very large Buddhas in front, we took off our shoes, grabbed a mat and sat quietly while people came in and out to offer money and do their bows and prayers. It was so peaceful and beautiful to look at. We ate at one of the many restaurants down by the parking lot (all vegetarian!) bim bim bop (it is a rice dish with lots of stuff added it). After dinner we headed to one of the other camps called Damyang. There are community bathrooms here and community showers, I think this is the camp we heard about that the teachers had to sneak around when the kids weren't around to shower. Glad I'm not staying! Today we meet with our Korean co-teachers and then head to our own camps at noon. I'm excited to see where I will be teaching but kinda nervous to teach my lessons! I guess the first time through will be a little spotty but will be great by the 8th time! I'm supposed to teach the Hospital booth and there is a lot of vocabulary involved...Kinda wishing I picked a different topic. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment